Search This Blog

Walk with the faith...Your Good Shephard is with you


Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
[Psalm 23:4]
Chapter 23 from the book of Psalm, entirely talks about God and his grace, support, protection, and safety around us. Especially the verse in context talk about the presence of God with us in every place we plan to travel, and that he will be our safety and protector. There are two reference that is highlighted here in this verse. These are "valley of shadow of death" and "your rod and your staff". Lets see these two reference in detail to understand the verse in context.

According to the Bible History, two of the most important tools of a Shepherd were the rod and staff. The rod was a stick about a meter long with a knob on one end.

The staff looked somewhat like a modern cane, although sometimes longer, was used by shepherds to protect and tend their flocks. Like a shepherd, our Lord Jesus had been keeping watch over us and when we, like a sheep gets stuck in a throng bush or near the end of a mountain, it calls out for his master (shepherd). The moment he hears his sheep cry, he leave all others and runs to look out, save and bring it back to the group of others sheep in his protection. These items rod and staff are a metaphor for God's protective hand over His people when He brings them back from their own sinful and often dangerous ways.


Next "Valley of Shadow of Death"....
Our various dangerous and evil ways are the correct reference of this "valley of the shadow of death". These are the paths we had been walking all throughout our life.. The sins, wrong motives, immoral thought and selfish acts and actions. All these are some of the action that lead us through the valley of death. This is called the valley of shadow of death, as this valley will eventually lead us to the final destination which is death. This valley can also be taken as the temptation that may lead us to get away from our Lord and Savior. Temptation are very normal and more when we are close to Lord. These come to make us weak both physically and mentally. Devil is good in this part but he is not powerful than our Lord. He can only tempt us, but with the Lord near us every time, he cannot do anything unless we get him the approval to enter our lives.

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
[Psalm 23:1]

Our Lord is our good shepherd, and he is always there to help keep us away from these temptation and evil thoughts and acts. Like a good shepherd with his rod and

staff (God's protective and might hand) he will rebuke the devil, but there has to be some effort from our side also. If we tend to revolt and make our own decision then there is chance that our link with God may be weakened and which eventually leads us to fall into the hands of devil. With the Lord being my good shepherd.. (Note that our Lord is not just a shepherd, but a GOOD Shepherd), there is no more that we want. We only need to believe in him and call to him when problems and issues surround us. Handover your life and situation to Lord and have faith that Lord will come for us and save us in any situation.


Psalm 23
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,
He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, 
I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.


Lord is Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment